Last Updated: 25 April 2022
The type of personal information we collect
When visitors leave comments on the Website we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also their IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
To assist with sending you the requested information, we use Mailchimp to collect and store your email address. Mailchimp outlines their use of your personal data and anonymised data here. You may opt-out of the collection of your data by unsubscribing (we will remove your data) and contacting them using the instructions on their privacy page.
We use AddThis as a sharing tool to encourage readers to share our articles on their social networks, and to see how our users engage with our articles. AddThis outlines their use of your personal data and anonymised data here.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on our Website may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Google Analytics mainly uses first-party cookies to report on visitor interactions on this Website. Users may disable cookies or delete any individual cookie. Learn more
Google Analytics also collects IP addresses to provide and protect the security of the service, and to give website owners a sense of which country, state, or city in the world their users come from (also known as “IP geolocation”). See here for Google Analytics security and usage of data.
A cookie is a file containing an identifier (a string of letters and numbers) that is sent by a web server to a web browser, and is stored by the browser. The identifier is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. Cookies may be either “persistent” or “session” cookies: a persistent cookie will be stored by a web browser and will remain valid until its set expiry date unless deleted by the user before the expiry date; a session cookie, on the other hand, will expire at the end of the user session, when the web browser is closed.
Cookies do not typically contain any information that personally identifies a user, but personal information that we store about you may be linked to the information stored in and obtained from cookies.
- To identify you when you visit our Website and as you navigate our Website;
- To help us to determine if you are logged into our Website;
- To store information about your preferences and to personalise the website for you;
- As an element of the security measures to protect user accounts, including preventing fraudulent use of login credentials, and to protect our Website and services generally;
- To help us to display advertisements that will be relevant to you; and
- To help us to analyse the use and performance of our Website and services.
Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies and delete cookies. You can obtain up-to-date information about blocking and deleting cookies via these links, depending on the browser(s) you use:
- Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en;
- Safari: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/safari/sfri11471/mac;
- Samsung Internet: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/what-are-cookies-and-how-do-i-enable-or-disable-them-on-my-samsung-galaxy-device/;
- Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences;
- Microsoft Edge: https://support.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/microsoft-edge-browsing-data-and-privacy-bb8174ba-9d73-dcf2-9b4a-c582b4e640dd;
- Internet Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies; and
- Opera: https://help.opera.com/en/latest/web-preferences/.
Please note that blocking cookies may have a negative impact on the functions of many websites, including our Website. Some features of the Website may cease to be available to you.
Who we share your data with
- Service providers and others who help with our Website operations and assist in the delivery of our services including, but not limited to, site hosting, maintenance, data analysis, infrastructure provision, IT services, email delivery services, marketing, analytics, display advertisement, and enforcement of our Terms of Service Agreement and other agreements;
- Other users of the Website to identify you to anyone to whom you send messages or make comments through the services;
- Persons or entities with whom you consent to have your Personal Data shared; and
- Third parties in order to prevent damage to our property (tangible and intangible), for safety reasons, or to collect amounts owed to us.
- Third parties as we believe necessary or appropriate, in any manner permitted under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence to: comply with legal process; respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; enforce our Terms of Service Agreement and other agreements; protect our operations; protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you, or others; and allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
We will never sell, rent, or lease your personal information to a third party.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognise and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
If you subscribe our newsletter or contact us via e-mail, your name and your e-mail address are retained indefinitely unless unsubscribed. You can do so by clicking the unsubscribe button on our newsletter or contacting us.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
Other information (inc. cookies) that may be collected from using our Website by the aforementioned Service providers and Third parties are retained based on their respective privacy policies.
Rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this Website, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Where we send your data
Comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service. Third parties have access to your data as noted within this agreement.
How to contact us